Today, the list of countries that I have to visit once I'm earning some money come September has been upped to 5. Golly. I hope I can afford it all. Not to mention, my carbon footprint is going to be awful D:
But who cares about the environment when I can go visit my friends? (Sorry, environment, but I'd be nicer to you if you were my friend. Come on environment, don't be like that, give me a call sometime, maybe we could catch a movie.)
At the moment, I am currently trying to organise a trip to NYC OMG OMG OMG.
Mostly it involves large portions of being excited, large portions of looking at websites, and large portions of doing nothing at all, because I'm frantically trying to do work for my dissertation.
Re: My diss and the whole Web 2.0 thing.
While listening back to the interviews I've conducted over the past couple of weeks, I've come to a realisation. Wouldn't it be awesome, Web 2.0 wise, if there was a site that compiled everything that you are active on online. Listen to this: it would be your homepage, and it would be a one stop shop for all your notifications. This homepage will be completely customisable, and it will pull in feeds from whatever you want. It will show you:
- new emails in your inbox (for all your email accounts)
- notifications from facebook and whatever other social networking site you're using
- feeds from whatever blogs, podcasts, whatever the hell else you want to keep track of
- news stories and weather forecasts, if you want
- twitter statuses of your friends
- photos and videos friends have posted
- documents that you are collaborating on for work
- new messages from colleagues
- the status of orders from online shops
- new posts on forums
- updates to any webpage you want to track
- etc etc etc
- plus handy immediate search tools for wikipedia / youtube / google / multimap / the library catalogue / whatever you want
This one login homepage will show you everything you need to know, both for your personal and work life (and you'd be able to customise it to view it differently at work or at home if you wanted to split the two - for example, if you don't want to be bothered by personal stuff when working, etc). No more having to log in separately to each email account that you own (I have three). No more getting an email notification that someone's written on your facebook wall, then having to log in to facebook as well to reply. No more having to remember to check the news / your bank balance / updates to your favourite fanart sites. It will all be there. In one place.
Of course you can zoom off to the rest of the internet if you want to research something or fancy a bit of a browse. But wouldn't it be so much easier if everything was collated all together?
I'm not sure how feasible it would actually be. But it sounds great to me. If this is already possible and I've missed it, please let me know!
Comment from: [Member]
1. NYC, US of A - for Mariya’s wedding
2. Dublin, Ireland - to see Deborah
3. Geissen, Germany - I feel bad that I still haven’t visited you yet D: D:
4. Lux, Lux - for Lin, if I have time and funds
5. Paris, France - My course buddy asked me to visit her when she’s there next year
And don’t call me babe.
I found that out just the other day. I think there’s another one that does the same sort of stuff, but I forget its name.
Comment from: S [Visitor]
IF YOU GET A GOOGLE HOMEPAGE IT DOES ALOT (NOT ALL) OF THOSE THINGZ.
Comment from: Nick [Visitor]
Babe, what are the five countries? Add Montenegro to that list and make sure you go there by car. The trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!
Form is loading...